Thursday, June 3, 2010

Review: The Secret History of the PInk Carnation by Lauren Willig

The Secret History of the Pink Carnation (Pink Carnation, #1) The Secret History of the Pink Carnation by Lauren Willig


My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Eloise is a grad student researching an elusive spy known as the Pink Carnation, in league with such others as the Scarlet Pimpernel and the Purple Gentian. She finds a gold-mine of information in a relative of the Pink Carnation and finds out whether the Pink Carnation lives up to her expectations or exceeds them.

I had high hopes for this novel and they fell a little short. The book switches back and forth between present-day with Eloise and the past with the Pink Carnation. The characters in the Pink Carnation's time were fairly well developed and interesting and I liked reading their stories. However, I thought I would find out much more about Eloise's life and I didn't. The book jacket gave more information about Eloise than I felt I learned in the whole book.

Also, the heroines in this book were terribly whiny and that got old. The plot also moved pretty slow at parts and there were some love scenes I could have done without. All in all, it was entertaining but didn't live up to the expectations I had for the book.

View all my reviews >>

No comments: