Thursday, June 3, 2010

Review: Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely, #1) Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr


My rating: 3 of 5 stars
Aislinn, along with her mother and grandmother has always been able to see the faeries that inhabit the mortal world and invisible to most. She has been warned not to let them know she sees them and to avoid them at all costs. Aislinn has also witnessed the faeries' cruelty and deception on several occasions so when Keenen, the Summer King of faeries, starts to vie for her attention, she does everything in her power to avoid him. Especially when he claims that she is his next Summer Queen and must join him for eternity.

I have been reluctant to read any of the multitude of faery novels that seem to be cropping up but I tried this one and liked the plot line quite a bit. The author did a good job of creating a dark, bleak and sinister setting for the book where the faeries are definitely not the little winged things flitting about with glitter that you sometimes think of when you think of a faery.

There were elements of the book that were annoying to me. The constant mention of "tats" and tat shops. The teen sex and drug use bugged me, though I know it happens. I just didn't get an uplifting feeling from this book and didn't feel really happy when reading it. I know that all reading isn't going to be "really happy" but if I feel like I at least learned something or felt inspired, it's ok and I just didn't get that from this book. It was too dark and cruel for me.

View all my reviews >>

No comments: