Sunday, July 25, 2010

Review: The 13th Hour by Richard Doetsch

The 13th HourThe 13th Hour by Richard Doetsch

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Completely broken and devastated, Nick Quinn is stuck in a police interrogation room, accused of murdering his beloved wife. The unthinkable happens when he is given the chance to go back in time, hour by hour, to prevent her murder.

I have mixed feelings about this book. On the one hand, I stayed up late last night and woke up early this morning to finish it because I really wanted to find out what was going to happen. I enjoyed the the creative angle on time travel and I have to say I did like the ending for the most part.

That said, there were several things that were predictable about half-way through and the writing style wasn't anything amazing. Nick and Julia were a little too perfect and had a little too perfect of a life (well besides her murder that was the catalyst for the whole book), I wouldn't have minded a little more meat behind their flawless bodies, jobs, home, cars, and life plan. I did think that Detective Dance is pretty sinister, and easy to despise but it would have been interesting to have some background on why he is so evil and greedy; something horrible that happened to him in childhood or a grain of goodness that in a twisted way fueled his hate or something.

Not chomping at the bit to read more of this author but it was an entertaining few hours I spent with his story.


View all my reviews >>

No comments: